I rescued a starving 6 week old kitten who eats well but is lethargic and never plays

I have rescued 8 kittens over the last 18 months, hand reared & litterbox trained all of them. I recently took in a 6 wks kitten who was near to starvation, had been fending for herself, and had some roundworm, which the vet has treated. She refused cat milk, but tucks into canned and dried food, laps water, and is gaining weight. All of my other kittens have been normal, active, playful babies, fairly quickly accepting each other, but this little one doesn't join in play, is sleep, inactive, disinterested in anything, except for the hour at sundown when I accompany her outside where she prefers to pee & poop, and comes alive chasing and catching moths and bugs. She purrs when I cuddle her, but I'm concerned at how disinterested she is in playing, even with a laser dot, which sends all my others into rapture! The other kittens/cats are used to her and will come and sniff her, but she yowls quietly at them and they go away and try again later. Should I worry, or will she grow out of it?

Asked by Member 1171937 on Aug 31st 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Nicholas

Interesing...I have been a cat socializer at my local human society for quite some time and occasionally I do come across young cats that just want nothing to do with play. They do enjoy the company, love been held, scratched and brushed. They enjoy just sitting with me while I do admin duties. Some times young cats just don't know how to play. I would try different toys. If the vet gave her a clean bill of health then just let her be. Has she been checked for feline luk and HIV? Just because she was an outside stray. She obviously lost her mom too soon, not sure if that has anything to do with it. But as you would know, kittens can sleep 18+ hour a day. God bless you for taking these babies in!

Nicholas answered on 8/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer