I recently lost my dog, I have a 5 yo male fixed cat, do cats miss their dog buddies? Should I replace with a kitten?

Asked by Member 1068903 on Nov 6th 2011 in Answers

Answers

I am so sorry for your loss. Cats and dogs don't really understand "I am a cat and you are a dog." Usually, if a a dog chases a cat, it's not because dogs and cats are "natural enemies" b/c they aren't. The dog just has a strong prey drive. My point is that you need to think about the relationship your two animals had. If it was a very close one, your cat will go through a mourning period just like you are. He will probably search your home and meow, looking for his buddy. Understand that you cannot "replace" the lost dog in the cat's mind. If he has always been an accepting and easy-going cat, he may get along great with a kitten or young adult cat. You must speak with your vet for advice on how to introduce the 2 animals to each other. If you do decide to add another cat, go to a reputable shelter and explain your needs and wants, including your lifestyle to them. Let them help you chose a cat. Think of your own mood as well and take your own time to mourn for your dog. Purrs!