I recently adopted a kitten (4mo)she will come and sit in my lap if i am in a chair but if I am walking around she bolts

When she bolts, she will hide under the bed. Sometimes she will bolt back and forth and sometimes she will just hide. Is this a play reaction or a fear response, perhaps to our size difference?

Asked by Member 994082 on Jun 25th 2010 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Bailey

She may just be skittish. I have cats that lay flat on their back in the middle of the floor and I have to step over them.Always ready to be picked up and held. And then I have my Bailey who loves to be held and is almost obnoxious looking for attention but if you walk toward her and try to touch her or pick her up from the floor she runs away. Depending on where the kitten came from, she may not entirely trust humans yet. Give her time and be patient with her. Unless she is wierd like my Bailey, she will come around.

Bailey answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Wriggles

We agree with bailey's answer. Also, remember that we kitties ae relatively low to the ground as compared to a humon who is standing tall. We would suggest that you stoop down and hold out your hand, maybe wih a treat or favorite toy, and wait for her to come to you.

Another thought - maybe she is trying to play with you. If she is under the bed, why not lift the covers, and tease her with a toy or treat, holding t just in front of the covers, but so that sh can see it. Use a soothing voice, and call her name.
Good luck

Mr. Wriggles answered on 10/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SkittyKitty

Mum adopted me when I was about 8mnths old, I followed her home and have always been very skittish...
I would suggest that your cat's behaviour is a little bit of a fear reaction and also a bit of a playing thing. When we're younger we often use playing to judge danger, "playing" for kittens is really just learning to hunt anyway.
Her running back and forth suggests confusion, a great way to make us scared cats feel comfortable is coming down to our level, talking softly, moving very slowly and giving us lots of regular meals. If your kitten's gone through a hard time the best way to win trust is to be consistently kind while having food.

SkittyKitty answered on 12/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer