i really would like to get a kitten or maybe an adult cat - i have no garden though and am mildly allergic - can anyone

Asked by Member 1132047 on Sep 23rd 2012 in British Shorthair

Answers

I would caution you to consider your acquisition of a cat or kitten very thoroughly before actually adopting. When one resides in your home, you may find your "mild" allergy may kick into full gear and unfortunately, it may cause you to give up the cat which isn't good for it's chances. I overcame an allergy to cats years ago, but I believe my "cure" was a rare occurence. Also, there is no need to have a garden just because you have a cat. It's a well-known understanding that outdoor cats live short lives due to the dangers of being on their own outside, facing other territorial cats, dogs, psycho humans, poisons and traffic. A vetted, de-sexed and socialized indoor cat makes a much better pet. I'd suggest you visit a local rescue and speak with them. They can counsel you about the best decision to make. You may even want to consider volunteering at the shelter to see if your allergies do "kick in" and how severe they would become if you brought a cat into your home.