Slippers

I really want to know the breed of my cat, i do know it's a Calico though.

Asked by Slippers on Jun 27th 2008 in Answers

Answers

Domestic Shorthair

Philbert

I saw your post before as a guest, and I think those comments probably still stand (they had some good info in them) looks like slippers is a Domestic Shorthair with calico coloration (someone else made a point about calico not being a breed or any sort of indication of a breed, many cats breeds can have this color, and there's nothing wrong with that! Phil is a wonderful Domestic Shorthair.

Hopefully lots of mixed breeding and genetic disorders have been bred out of Slippers unknown lineage and have given you a beautiful healthy sweet cat that loves you!

Philbert answered on 6/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Thanks for putting up some pictures (and joining Catster!). Well, Slippers seems to be a classic example of a domestic short hair. This is determined by head shape (round), ear shape and placement (rather small and widely spaced), body shape (boxy rather than long and lean), and tail shape/length. If Slippers has any "breed" in her genetic heritage, it is not visible in these photographs. In other words, she has no "breed" as such. If it's any comfort to you, she's an absolutely classic American cat (I assume you're American)--but NOT an American Short Hair; as I mentioned last time, that is a specific breed, with a totally different look. By the way, the American cat show world would probably call her coloring tortoiseshell and white, not calico, since she is predominantly black with red marks, and she has the classic white leggings and (I think) throat markings of this color category. Ordinarily, calicos are predominantly white, with well-defined patches of black and red.

She's a pretty DSH. Being a DSH mom myself, I think they rock. ;)