i really want to get a pedigree breed of cat this time. I want one thats sweet and affectionate what are some breeds tha

I wanna get pedigree breed of cat since have already three domestic shorthairs. I thought i might go for a differnt kind of cats. I want one that is sweet, affectionate and who likes other cats. Any ideas on what breed to get?

Asked by Member 913591 on Jan 23rd 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Nellie, I am a European Burmese. I am very sweet, affectionate, playful, and like other cats. I always want to be with Mom. European Burmese are sometimes called the dog cat because we are so people orientated, friendly, and often will play fetch. I love when Mom has guests over as I get more even more attention. Here's some websites on EB's:

www.geocities.com

www.cfa.org

Do some research on breeds that appeal to you, decide on a breed, and be very careful picking a breeder. If you have any questions on EB's, feel free to p-mail me.

Sadie/ In loving memory

I understand that Maine Coon's are a very sweet and loving cats. I had one that part Maine coon and she was my lap cat.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 1/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ragdolls are generally very sweet and cuddly. My Maggie is a total lovebug and follows all of the stereotypes of the breed. However, all cats are subject to their own thoughts and personality traits so there is no guarantee. I also have 5 Persians and Himalayans (which are technically the same breed) and they all have very different personalities. All were raised by me from 8 weeks old and still developed very different ideas about how much loving and cuddling they were going to share with me. My Bailey is like my shadow. If she can not find me she runs around calling for me and when she wants attention, I have to drop what I am doing and hold her. Blaze loves to roll on my feet and follow me around but does not like to be picked up and held. And Allie I can hold whenever I want to and for as long as I am willing to. When she wants attention, she politely taps my leg and asks to be picked up. And most cats are fine with other cats as long as they are introduced properly.

Harvey

The Cat Fanciers' Association has breed profiles for all the breeds it recognizes. Almost every profile says that that particular breed is friendly and loyal. Well, I started collecting Maine Coons because I thought they were laid-back lap cats (as my brother's Maine Coon, not pedigreed, born and raised in Maine, was)--but alas, no. They vary from the standoffish to the "just want to be near you" kind. The good news is that Harvey, who was originally a very standoffish kitty, has become a love bug. Cats can change with time--or not. What I am trying to say is that you need to do more research, focus on some breeds you think may suit you, get in contact with owners of those breeds, and see a relatively mature cat--cats start showing their true personality at about 3 months, but really don't come into their true personality until about 2 years. After you've done your research, visit breeders or breed-specific rescue groups. Go for the cat who is affectionate from the start.

Harvey answered on 1/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Different breeds of cats all have their own traits that define their breed. However, it takes more than a breed name to make a cat sweet, affectionate and welcoming to other kitties. It depends on how much time the owner is willing to spend to socialize the cat and let it know it's loved and will be well cared for. Purebred cats are very expensive. I've seen Maine Coons with a good lineage who sell for upwards of $600. You can get a Maine Coon mix like Izzie, who I think is a wonderful kitty, at a shelter for under $100 and you'll not only be saving a life, but making room for another homeless kitty at the shelter. There's no guarantee that any particular cat of a certain breed will conform to it's breed standards. It all depends on the individual personality of the particular kitty and how it's raised and cared for.

Got money? Research Cornish rex