Luke

i know that byb's and puppy/kitty mills should be out of business but ?

no one wnats to buy a cat/dog for over 1000 + dollars when a person can get a mutt or another so called purebred for half or less then half ! why do registered dogs and cats have to be soo much ? maybe if they were cheaper the bybs and puppymills would be come extinct !

Asked by Luke on Mar 22nd 2010 Tagged byb in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Generally the registered puppies/kittens and their parents are well cared for and have all their shots and health checks. The adults are only bred for a few years and any with health issues are retired.

If you don't need a registered pet BYB is probably OK but you should really check them out to see where the cats/dogs are kept, what health care they get etc

It's much more expensive for the registered breeders compared to mills/byb. The only people who are making a ton of money from breeding are the puppy/kitten mills, high volume breeders and the pet stores who use them.

Phoebe

How about adoption - there are so many animals in shelters that need good homes - why not adopt instead of purchasing an animal from a breeder or questionable source. I have never "purchased" an animal - all of my pets have been shelter rescues.

Phoebe is my latest and she is an absolute sweetheart - I adopted her as an adult - she is 2 years old.

Phoebe answered on 3/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

If a person is truly educated about how horrific puppy mills (I've never heard of kitten mills but suspect that they probably exist as well) are, no one would ever purchase an animal from one no matter the lower price. I spent many years in animal rescue trying to educate people about how awful these places were and why a reputable breeder charges so much for a heathy animal.

It's a difficult question. Undoubtedly puppy/kitten mills exist. They actually tend to charge more for their animals than so-called household breeders (who have higher overhead expenses, meaning that they really don't make any money--most go into the red). A good household breeder isn't trying to make money, shows their cats at cat shows, and generally doesn't sell to pet shops. Pet shops, at least in Japan, are the big money makers. Some of their cats are iffy. Some cats actually have very good pedigrees. However, your question is about mutts. I love moggies (see Spike). I chose to breed Maine Coons because Japanese moggies tend to be feral. I wanted to provide quality cats to people who want them. Just as some people want a certain kind of dog, some people want a certain breed of cat. Cats in shelters are not always what their labels say. A healthy, happy breed cat that meets breed standards and makes people happy is the goal of hobby breeders, not BYBs. Purrs.

Simone

Oh Kitty mills exist all right. My Simone is the living proof. We adopted her from a rescue no kill group at the age of 6/7ish. She was essentially thrown out the back door by a breeder when she was too old to continue having litter after litter. She came with bad dental, declawed front feet, weight problems, and bad hips (all of which has been resolved) When done irresponsibly breeders can make fast easy money on purebred kittens in high demand (such as my seal point Siamese). You breed the parents over and over with no break and you sell the kittens at exactly 8 weeks. When the adults are too old and tired, you throw them out the back door and forget about them.
I can only assume people buy from them because they don't know any better. I certainly hope it isn't because they don't care. Perhaps with more education of the general public they will vanish. All I know is my only regret about owning Simone so far is that I couldn't protect her the first 6 years of her life.

Simone answered on 5/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Patches

You're paying for more than just the animal. You're paying for the shots and medical attention they receive whenever they need it. You're paying so that the animal doesn't seem meaningless (as some say free cats/dogs are also seen as free to toss aside). You're getting an animal who's parents were screened for any problems that could result in your pet having serious and costly medical problems down the road if not noticed. They do it to further the breed not set it back like mills.
A byb or mill doesn't care if your pet has a genetic problem that is going to cost you 1000's to treat later on. They don't get them shots or medical attention or screen the parents. They get as many animals out as possible spending the least amount of $ to raise their gains.

So the question is what is more important to the person getting the pet?

The welfare of the animal or the welfare of the checkbook? If it's the second one maybe a goldfish would be more appropriate.

Patches answered on 12/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Saphira

We have seen some of the best and worst of small cat breeders. The worst (but ended up well for us and the kitty) was a breeder my wife met at a cat show. Terri was looking for an Egypatian Mau to replace our late lamented Nonsense, and this woman had a Mau she was retiring from breeding. Terri was shocled at the conditions in her home, many many cats, all confined to small cages. She brought Matty home, and for her early time here we had to keep her confined to one of the bathrooms, to avoid fights with one of our other cats. At first she would hide behind the toilet, and would growl and hiss at anyone entering the room. It took me months of talking and then petting and loving on her, but she grew to be a loving companion. Last year our daughters found us an Ocicat from a local breeder, and he was the opposite - cats had the run of his house, clearly loved and well cared for. Saphira is a total delight and was clearly loved by her first owner.

Saphira answered on 7/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer