Kosmo

I just introduced a new cat to my house. Before now, my 18 month old has been an only child. Will it get better?

She has been growling non-stop since we brought the other cat home. The other cat is so sweet and friendly. The house is huge...they have plenty of space! Do cats learn to love each other quickly or should I find another home for this sweet newbie?

Asked by Kosmo on Jan 27th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

When I intro a new cat to my household of animals, I set up a "private suite" for the newbie. It's in a spare room with a litter box, food, water and a place like a closet or under a bed to hide. The cat stays there until my other ones are sitting outside the door, pawing under the door, etc. The newbie comes out into the house for a while and the others are closed in newbie's room to accustom them to newbie's smells, etc. After that, newbie comes out for supervised visits with the others. I've learned it doesn't matter if you live in a palace or an efficiency apartment. It's kind of like if your partner brought home someone else and said, "Honey, I love you but I've brought this other person home and he/she will be living here permanently. I will love this other person and you'll just have to get used to it." Be patient and don't be quick to rehome newbie. This is the time for patience, kindness, love and understanding. Check with where you adopted her from for more hints and advice.