Guest

I just had to put my cat to sleep and I'm heart broken. The vet said she had a stroke.

I'm not convinced. She suddenly couldn't walk, meowed terribly, was disoriented and no sensation to her whole body pretty well. I'm just looking for other answers. Thanks.


Asked by Member 286876 on Aug 29th 2010 Tagged stroke, cantwalk, disoriented in Loss of a Pet
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Joey

I am so sorry for your loss - sometimes we never really know what has happened to our little furry friends when it's their time - but know that she is no longer in any pain. It's the hardest decision we as pet parents have to make when we decide it's time to let our little ones go - it's never easy and I think everyone would agree that we can torture ourselves questioning our decision. If your baby did in fact have a stroke and was suffering from immobility and disorientation it's probably best that you let her go - quality of life for our furry friends far supersedes our desire to keep them around as long as we can. Your baby is in a better place and in time your heartbreak will lessen with fond memories. Purrs and prayers to you.


Joey answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Izadore (Izzie)

Joey is right. I recently lost my outside kitty who was found dead on a neighbor's driveway. I, too, will never know what happened to Lily. In the months since she's been gone, her loss has been difficult to accept. No one knows what happened. One thing I have done is to make a cement plaque for her with her name on it and a short saying. I've also donated to a local animal welfare society. Cats do have strokes, just like people and for the same reason. A dog of ours died of a stroke after having a seizure a month before. It's NOT fair, that's for sure, but it does happen. Speak frankly with your vet, ask for details and explanations if you can. Vets are accustomed to dealing with their patient's grief over losing a beloved companion. Purrs and pawpats from all of us.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Guest

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel as I went through this in March 2008 when my kitty had to be put down due to chronic renal failure. It does sound as though your kitty had a stroke. It definitely sounds neurological in nature. You don't say how old she was, but try to think of the happy years she gave you. It is hard, you will grieve for some time. I still do. Just keep thinking that she is at peace over the "Rainbow Bridge" with her furry friends and that you will be reunited some day. We can only hope! Again, my deepest sympathy and condolences on your loss.


Member 185886 answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer