I just got my 7 month old male cat neutered. Now he is wild, jumps and bounces around the house, knocking over and brea

Asked by Member 979803 on Apr 5th 2010 in Cats & Kids

Answers

I can almost guarantee you that neutering your cat had nothing to do with his behavior. Your cat is behaving like a bored and out-of-control 2 year old toddler. He is, after all, still a ktten and kittens are notorious for being hyperactive. If you have breakable possesions that you value much, put them away until he has become an adult. If he is not the sort who will try to escape by pushing out your windowscreens, set up a fleece "shelf" so he can watch Cat TV. Play with him as much as you possibly can. Use feather teaser fishing poles, laser lights (be careful not to shine it in his eyes), teach him to fetch (yes, cats can be taught). You can even teach him to sit and roll over. You can also discipline your cat, of course not by shrieking at or hitting him, but in my case, when Izzie is being uber-bratty, all I have to say is "Iz!" and he stops. Kittens are not as care-free as many people think they are. Your time invested in your kitty will pay off bigtime

Harvey

I agree with Izzie. He's just being a kitten. Another idea is that he's really happy to be home from the vet's. Did he stay there overnight? (Usually they don't.) If he was caged at some point, he could be enjoying his new-found freedom. My 3 boys who were neutered recently were caged for two weeks before getting neutered (to make sure that they didn't bother the intact females), and the moment they came home, they were racing each other up and down the halls in glee.

Harvey answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer