I just got a new cat this past weekand I do not know much about it and it is a girl she is about 1 years old.

my dad doesNOT like cats but i think he mite like this cat.

She is very play ful.

She likes to climb on things.

My brother is only 5 and picks her up.

Asked by Member 988007 on May 19th 2010 Tagged idonotknow in Behavior & Training

Answers

You have brought this cat into a very touchy situation. She is facing an adult who probably won't like her. She also will have to deal with your brother who hopefully has been taught that animals are not toys and he MUST be gentle with them. I'm wondering why your dad gave permission for you to have a cat since he does not care for them. Did you adopt from a shelter? Usually, they will not adopt to homes where everyone is not "on board" with the adoption. All I can say is that you will need to be VERY watchful of your cat, both with your father AND especially your brother. Cats can easily be injured by young children. Your cat needs vet care, especially spaying if she is not already. Who will pay for the vet care? Will your mom help you care for the cat? Who will watch out for the cat when you are at school? Who will pay for the cat's food? You need to find a vet right now, take the cat in and learn from them about cat care.

I agree with Izzie. This cat is at risk for being abused by both your father and little brother. My 5-yr. old granddaughter actually threw a kitten to me once. I immediately smacked her and it was the last time she ever did that! Whoever you adopted the cat from should have provided you with her medical records (if any). If not, get her to a vet now for her shots and to be spayed. Otherwise, your father will make you get rid of a pregnant cat.

Leia

I don't think we should be attacking this person for adopting a cat.. and we should not assume that she has no medical records and it isn't spayed, etc. We don't know how old this person is and if they are able to afford everything. Sorry but in my opinion your comments were not very helpful.. I'm sure guest is responsible and will get her cat checked by a vet and can take care of it and doubt her dad will abuse it! Just bc someone doesn't think they like cats doesn't mean they never will and will most likely abuse them! My suggestion to guest is to ask your vet how to take care of the cat and research online as well. Cats do best on a diet of wet and dry foods without grains, such as Wellness, and should always have fresh water available to them. It is also good to have a scratching post for them if you are worried about furniture. I agree that you should watch your brother when he is around the cat. Enjoy your new cat!

Leia answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

I agree 100% with Izzie, it is very hard to introduce a cat into a house where not everyone is on board with the adoption. Make sure she is spayed, and talk to your vet about caring for her.

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shelters and responsible breeders ascertain whether everyone in a household agrees with an adoption. I was four when we got my childhood cat, and while she lived to a ripe old age, finally passing away when I was in college, I've always suspected that her sour personality may have had something to do with the fact that I liked to dress her in doll clothes when I was little. Cats generally do not like that. I've read on Catster about cats who had been thrown against walls by toddlers and become brain damaged. Let's try to be optimistic, though. Maybe your father will end up falling in love with your kitty (sometimes people who have not shared their lives with a cat think they don't like them, but then discover they do). And you can help make sure that your brother learns how to play nicely with your cat. Picking her up is fine, as long as Kitty doesn't object. Playing with wand toys (toys on a stick) is a great way to interact, and will help burn off some of that energy.