I just got a kitten and it will not use the litter box to go number 2 in, it will pee in it but that's it.

Every time I find where its going at I rub his nose in it and put him in the litter box, and clean up the area but it always finds a new spot. I really like this cat and my son loves him but I don't know how to train him. I never had a cat do that. I got him from someone at walmart, maybe they didn't care where the cats went, can someone please tell me how to work with him. I clean it out daily and I don't have any other cats, I just need some good advice please thank you.

Asked by Member 1080347 on Jan 8th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Potty training an animal is pretty much like potty-training a child. When a child has a wet or dirty diaper, we don't (or shouldn't) "rub his nose in it". Truthfully, that is an archaic way of thinking. If you haven't vetted this baby, that should be a priority. Chances are that the person you got him from, because they were giving cats away outside of Walmart with little thought or care about where they went or what will eventually happen to them, they're not the best, most responsible people. Establish yourself with a vet so when the time comes you can do the right thing and have him fixed. He needs vaccinations and an exam. Make sure he can get in the litter box and back out. If the sides are too high, he's imtimidated by it. Use only about 1 to 2" of litter. Put the box in a quiet, private spot. Clean up his accidents with an oxy or enzyme based cleaner (oxy laundry detergent is OK) to destroy the odor. When you go to your vet, take paper and pen along and ask questions. Good luck!