Perry

I heard adding a teaspoon of olive oil to a cats food with help prevent hairballs. Is it true?

Asked by Perry on Jul 20th 2009 Tagged hairballs, health in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

Honestly, I've never heard this. There are some things to be afraid of though, especially with oils. Many types of olive oils are made with a "hint of garlic" to make them taste better. Sometimes they don't put it on there, but I have a very sensitive sense of taste, and I can tell you it's in all kinds of olive oils. Garlic is however, poisonous to cats. Personally, my kitties get about a thumbnail sized drop of Petromalt a day, and they never have problems with hairballs. It comes in a tube and is sold in all the shops that cater to pets that I've been in. It's also really inexpensive. I bought a large tube (don't know precisely how much, sorry) about three or four months ago. I give it to all three kittens every day, and I still have most of the tube left. I haven't had any problems with them getting sick, though you might want to get a small tube at first, in case one of your cats is particularly sensitive. Honestly, it's cheaper than olive oil, and safer.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on Jul 20th.

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

I use Hairball Preparation which is a lubricant and laxative to help move the hairballs out. It's a paste that I place on my hand, it's tuna flavored and the cat just licks it off. I purchased it at my vet's office and it was inexpensive plus last along time. You can also purchase similar products from a pet store.
I have heard olive oil can help with hairballs. I heard 1 tsp for the first 3 days and then about 1/8 of a tsp daily after that. I have never used this method so I would ask a vet before you listen to hear say. A quick phone call will ensure this won't cause diarrhea or any tummy upset for your feline.
Have a good one.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer