FATE

I HAVE TO DRIVE 11 HRS MY CAT FATE HATES THE CAR ,GOES CRAZY , DOES NOT STOP CRYING . WHAT CAN I DO?

ALSO HOW IS HE GOING TO GO POTTY?

Asked by FATE on Sep 20th 2009 Tagged mycathatesthecar in Car Travel

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

. I would suggest talking to your vet about giving Fate something to ease his anxiety while travelling. If he is more relaxed, your trip will be less stressful for you both. Try using the meds at home a few days prior to your trip to ensure your cat has no ill effects from it. Make sure you have enough for a trial run, for the trip and back if needed.
I would also suggest using a wire dog crate instead of your typical cat carrier. Your cat will be able to see what’s going on and a comfy bed could easily be placed inside. I would avoid food, this may cause car sickness, offering water along the way would be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if he declines. A small litter box could also be placed inside but if he is stressed in may not even use it. A harness and leash would be great for quiet rest stops. Get him used to the harness before your trip. Having his harness on during the trip will allow you to easily attach the leash. Make sure all doors and windows are shut before opening the crate and attempting to put the leash on.
Prepare him for the trip beforehand. Place him in the crate, take him out and sit in the car without it running for a few minutes, do this a few times. Then try sitting there with the car running. Then drive around the block and gradually make your trips a little longer. To get him used to the crate at home, put some yummy treats inside; get him to associate the crate with good stuff.
All my best and have a safe trip.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

When we took our cat on an 8 hour flight we took him to the vet and he gave us some pills that we were able to give him to make him be drowsy during the flight.The pills were inside chicken so Rocky easily ate them. He was fine during the flight thanks to the pills. Hope you find this helpful.For the Potty part;we got Rocky a leash and took him into the bathroom and put litter into his cage and he went. Good luck with your cat!

Rocky answered on 11/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer