I have three cats. They use the litter box but they don't cover up their stuff. Instead, they scratch the side of the bo

Asked by Member 1144327 on Dec 8th 2012 Tagged litterbox, litter, scratching, wall in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

The litterbox habits of cats varies widely from cat to cat. When I was doing adoptions at PetsMart for my rescue organization, we had cats who would scratch for 5 minutes on the side of the stainless steel cages but not cover their business. I have 3 and not all 3 of them cover all the time. Some cats are fanatic about covering because historically, they want to hide where they've "gone" from predators. On the other hand, some cats will use their feces to mark their territory as well as urine. If all their business is happening in the box, don't worry about it. Scoop as often as you can.