I have the 7yr old cat. I just got him lastnight. He came from a home with lots of animals. I cant figure out how 2reply

I am just wondering if I should get another kitty to help him relax since he was use to having 4 others around. I try to just show him lots of affection, and assure him that he is safe. If anyone can help me or give me anymore ideas that would be great. I tried to reply but i am new to this page and cant figure out how

Asked by Member 967544 on Feb 23rd 2010 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Unfortunately, the Answers page is not set up for replies. You can pawmail any of us just by clicking on our picture, going to our page and clicking on "send a message" under our photo. In answer to your question, if you are the same person who posted before about your 7 yr old cat, you just have to give him time to adjust. It will take at least a week if not longer. Bringing in another strange cat will just make the situation worse. Take it slow, show your kitty lots of love but don't smother him. Let him come up to you for cuddles. Let him explore his new home on his own and make sure it's safe for him-no open vents or anyplace he can crawl into and not be able to get out . Speak softly and kindly to him. Make sure he knows where his litterbox is and that it's always very clean for him. Get him a nice soft bed or blanket, some catnip toys and "catfisher"pole to play with him. Do all you can to make his environment quiet, safe and happy. Give him all the tme he needs. Good Luck!

I agree with Izzie. He's seven years old and is now, suddenly, in a different home. Give him time to get used to his new environment and to you. Once he seems to have settled in, I would definitely advise getting another cat. Two cats are really not much more bother or expense than one, and even if they don't become best buddies, having another cat in the household can make a world of difference. Make sure that you know your cat's personality well enough to find a cat that will be a suitable housemate. A good shelter or a good cattery knows the personalities of their cats and can give you good advice. Don't be too hasty, though. I wish you luck.