I have noticed my female Siamese Mix chewing on cardboard. Why would she do that?

Is there a reason for her to be chewing cardboard? I worry she may have ingested a piece of cardboard.

Asked by Member 1149610 on Aug 20th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If there was food in the box at one time, that's probably the reason. Or, she could just be attracted to the scent of the box. Izzie chews up paper but doesn't eat it, just makes a mess. When an animal (or a person) eats non-food items, it's called "pica", but truthfully, that's not very common. If you notice her eating many non-food items, not just chewing them up, it's time to chat with the vet. She may have a dental issue with a tooth or her gums. She may be an "oral" cat and need to explore things by chewing on them. Pet stores sell cat toys that you can put a piece of treat in. It can keep your cat busy for a long while--trying to get the treat out. There are treats specifically made to go into the toy, too. If she's chewing food-filled boxes, make sure you keep these and empty boxes out of her sight, in a cupboard or in the recycling bin.

Pookie used to eat paper. Especially newspaper when I was trying to read it; she made it into a game. One day when she was bored and an only cat, I came home and she had bitten holes into the tops and spines of a bottom shelf of paperback books. Some cat toys are made of corrugated cardboard these days. Give her treats, toys, window perches and more scratchers to occupy her time, because cats can become destructive with nothing to do. Getting her a little friend is the best medicine!! ^_^

She's probably got something that's called pica where cats eat things that are not really meant to be ate like cardboard. Plastic. Wool etc. Get advice from the vet.