Miss Kitty

I have had my cat Miss Kitty for 9 years and all the sudden she is peeing in my snake plants!

The vet said all was good and she has never done this before. Out of 6 plants only 1 has survived so far :(

Asked by Miss Kitty on Nov 6th 2012 Tagged plants, peeing in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

To be truthful, if she's been checked for a bladder infection and it's negative, then your best plan is a good defense. I know that my cats will eat any live plant I bring in. Izzie has also been known to snack on fake ones. I don't want to take the chance of them being poisoned, so the only plants I DO have in my home are catnip and wheatgrass, which also make nice table centerpieces. There might be something in the dirt that is attracting Miss Kitty. Izzie has been known to dig in a pot until he knocks it on the floor (He wrote a recent diary entry about his misfortune with my Shamrock plant and white carpeting). My best suggestion would be to gift friends with the plant and if you like to look of live plants, do what I do and grow some cat friendly ones, but be prepared for Miss Kitty to use the pots for litter boxes if you do. Short of that, about all you can do is ask at a home or garden store if there is any sort of plastic cover you can wrap around the bottom of the plant.