I have been treating my kitty for ear mites, over the counter medicine, still black junk being romoved from the ears aft

Asked by Member 770775 on Nov 20th 2008 Tagged sickness in Kittens

Answers

My kitten Kira was treated for ear mites at the vet , and she still needed a second treatment 2 weeks later before they were all gone. If your cat still has excessive gunk coming out of her ears, then you're just not killing them with the over the counter stuff and I would call the vet. The medicine they use is stronger than anything you can buy at the store. They are also a lot bolder when it comes to cleaning the gunk out of the ears. I was amazed at how they just dug right in there when I was afraid to go too deep. There is also no way to know for sure that the problem is mites without looking under the microscope. My Bailey's ear gunk looked the same to me so I thought she caught it from Kira, but the vet said hers is just from allergies. No mites were there at all.

Gracie

She could also have an ear infection. They're a common side effect of ear mite treatments (and that's when it's vet approved, too). Better take her to the vet, they can determine which it is, and give her what she needs.

Gracie answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

You need to go to a vet. Often OTC eds do not work. You need to be sure that you are actually seeing mites and not an infection. NEVER put anything into the ear without consulting a vet. If there is a rupture in the eardrum you could be doing more damage than good.

Hunter answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ear mites are very common in the Fall and are difficult to treat. It could take up to one full month to treat and the treatment must be constant. I really think that you should have a veterinarian give the ears a good cleaning and then be constant with the treatment the vet prescribes.