I have an indoor cat and lately I have been feeding a stray outside. My cat constantly is watching and loosing sleep ov

It is just that my cat doesn't even play much or sleep near me much because he is always looking out the window for this stray cat. I want to help the stray - but is it bad for my cat? thank you.

Asked by Member 1134050 on Oct 3rd 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I totally understand where your heart is. But, yes, you are stressing our your cat by feeding this stray. Not only that, but when she tells her "friends" about the kind person who is feeding her, they will all show up. One stray can turn into dozens. I've seen it happen, in addition to pregnant ones having their litters on your property. Cats are very territorial and he doesn't understand your wish to be kind to the stray. He could start spray marking inside your house or try to bolt out the door or window to get at the stray. If the cat doesn't belong to anyone, call your local animal control officer (through the police) and ask if they can set up a humane trap for the cat.