I have an eight year old main coon and every time I close the back/ front doors, he is there to bite my ankles and feet.

I have an eight year old main coon and every time I close the back/ front doors, he is there to bite my ankles and feet. He also looks angry and will continue to bite me and run after me until I finally have to literally hide or go somewhere he cannot get to me. Other than that, he is extremely affectionate and nice during the rest of the day. I just don't get why he does this or how to make him stop.

Asked by Member 1186177 on Aug 18th 2013 Tagged bite, maincoon, angry in Behavior & Training

Answers

First off, cats can smell fear a mile away. You need a sprayer with a half water and half white vinegar mixture. Spray him the next time he starts biting you until he stops. Bring the spritzer with you when you do it. Just because he is unhappy with what you are doing does not mean that you become a human chew toy. Another option is to find a treat that he really likes, such as a catnip greenie away from the doors, and then go to the door and close it; if he likes the treats that much he will not notice the 20 second trip you make to shut a door. ^_^

Nicholas

I also have an 8yr old Maine Coon and he does this too! When he was a kitten he could be extemely agressive at times. He would get so wound up that he would jump at my face! I was injured a lot! I would have to put something between him and I until he calmed down. I learned over time that ignoring him calmed him down (rather than yelling or being frustrated). The calmer I was, the quicker he settled down. And he would growl, hiss and pace for some time after. He is a very happy, affectionate cat overall-he would just have his moments. Over the years he has mellowed out but still hisses now and then for what seems like no good reason. The only advice I can offer is to ignore the behavior. Don't get mad or even try and be sorry about it...any reinforcement-positive or negative- will prolong the behavior. Stop running, face him and show him you are not backing down. When you run you are prey. Be calm and stand your ground. That is a cat: hunt, catch, kill, eat. Good Luck!

Nicholas answered on 8/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer