I have an 8 mo. kitten I took her home for holidays and she loved other cats! I got her a kitten at our apartment help!

I have an eight month old kitten that is extremely lovable! She is with me in my apartment at school and she meows at me constantly and rubs her face against mine. Needless to say she is sweet. I recently went to my parent's home for Christmas and they have 4 cats there. I was nervous about introducing my cat (Ellie) to my parent's cats. However, Ellie absolutely loved them! She was so happy that when we came back to the apartment she seemed a little blue. I thought maybe getting another kitten would make her happy because she loved my parents cats so much. Yesterday I brought home a new kitten and Ellie hisses at it. They seemed like they were playing and chasing each other for about 2 hours. But Ellie is no longer meowing at me and I'm afraid to show the new kitten attention because I don't want Ellie to get jealous. Is there anything I can do to show Ellie that she is still my baby and I got this new kitten to make her happy not to replace her?

Asked by Member 1208855 on Jan 11th 2014 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I hope you got a boy. If not, you will be experiencing same-gender dominance issues for awhile. You brought someone new into HER territory, not the other way around, and you should not expect her to be happy about it. You need to get both kittens spayed as soon as you are able to avoid fighting and retain the status quo. You also need to keep them separated and have your cat sniff the other one out between the bathroom door for two days. Then, supervised visitation is in order until you can guarantee that there will be no fighting. You are right in not showing the new kitten attention in front of your cat. Now you need a new cat condo, a new litter box, and more toys and scratchers. Just because you bring in a new cat DOES NOT mean that the two will get along, especially if introduced improperly and in tight quarters. If you do not switch Ellie to adult cat food at a year of age, she will become overweight as well form the extra fats in the kitten food. ^_^