I have a ten week old kitten who was skinny when I got him, now his belly is quite round and he farts a lot,

I'm worried that something might be wrong with him. I feed him wellness brand cat food twice a day and 2/3 cup wellness brand kitten food at lunch. He poops normal dark color and often in normal blobs, is very active, normal sleep patterns, normal appetite. Help!

Asked by Member 1145667 on Dec 18th 2012 Tagged food, fart in Health & Safety

Answers

Was he seen by a vet? It could be worms. Otherwise my kitten were like that too, especialy just after a meal, you could see their bellies were all full.

Definitely speak to a vet. There may be nothing wrong with the kitten, but kittens' systems are very fragile at that age, and he could have worms or a bacterial infection, or might just need to switch food. Worse, he could have eaten something that may be blocking his intestines.

A kitten his age might have been malnourished (especially if he hadn't been nursed by a mama cat properly in the beginning of his life), so he may be experiencing some difficulty with his food.

Call a vet and describe the symptoms and ask if he needs to be seen. Sometimes they can tell over the phone if it's serious or just something like gas - but if they advise you to bring him in, make sure you do so as soon as possible.

Good luck, and best wishes for a healthy kitten!