i have a new kitten, she is 10 weeks old and has come from a lovely home.

I met her in her old home and she was very loving then and allowed everyone to cuddle her and she didnt so much as meow.i am going to take her to see a vet on Monday to be chipped and have innoculations, but I am so worried as she wont even let me get close to her to pick her up and I do not want to add to her stress. I have bought today a plug in that emits a natural smell that is supposed to calm anxious pets but she is still crying, but she has come out more from the sofa - but is still crying very loudly, ive never heard a sound like it from a cat :(

Asked by Member 1116849 on Jun 21st 2012 Tagged anxioushissingcryingkitten in Kittens

Answers

You didn't say just how long you've had her, but it just sounds to me that she needs more time to adjust to being in a new home. It took me a week to really feel comfortable in my new home when I was adopted. She's just a baby & needs time to adjust. Give her the space she needs. As long as she's eating, drinking & going to the bathroom, I wouldn't really worry.

It may also calm her if you kept her in a bedroom for a few days and go in and play with her there. She may be overwhelmed and frightened by all the open space. When cats are nervous, they like to small, enclosed spaces.

Monster and Twinkle are right. When a cat is uprooted from its environment, it can be extremely stressful especially if her mom and littermates were at her old home. I've had limited success with those pheromone products. When I rescued Izzie, I actually kept him in an extra-large dog cage with a "hide box", litter, food, water and toys in it. The cage was in my den and I started out going in there every hour or so to work on the computer. I spoke to him but didn't "confront" him as such. As time when on, I started sitting at the cage just talking to him. Then I let my other cat in to visit. Izzie was in the cage for almost a month before he was allowed to explore the rest of the house. He's still a shy cat, but not skittish. He has a wonderful opinion of himself, is confidant and a general pain in my you know what. Your new baby is lonely, calling for those she knows. Stay calm, quiet, patient and loving and she'll come around. Your vet can also advise.