Tye

I have a mini shelter of cats of all ages and different levels of socialization. I have questions about feeding them.

My cats are a combo of old/young, indoor/outdoor, socialized/ not yet socialized, big and small. I have bowls of food everywhere for them and I'm going through it fast! I can't buy food for all their individual needs but they all seem to like the one brand I've been buying for them. Some seem to be overeating! Should I put them all on a schedule? How do I feed my mini shelter of kitties?

Asked by Tye on Mar 1st 2013 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

You don't say how many cats you have, but I know it must be difficult, if not impossible to provide a special diet for the one's who might need it. You don't say how many cats you have, but it does concern me that if any of them have medical issues, the veterinary care for them is also prohibitive. My first suggestion to you would be not to adopt any more cats. I know how difficult this is. If I could provide for them, I'd have a lot more than the 3 I already have. To put your cats all on a feeding schedule might work, but if they compete for their food, some may gobble all they can and then vomit it back up. A vet can determine if these individual cats are overweight and if they determine not, then you don't have to worry. My cats are free fed and none of them are overweight. Frankly, although you can buy high quality food that can cost up to $50 a 5lb. bag, when you feed a "herd" of cats, it's not practical. I buy the best food I can afford for my cats, Purina One.

nmj