I have a male kitten who is not neutered, and he is constantly being mean. Help!

Every time someone tries to pet him, he scratches and bites. Sometimes he's a sweetie, but most of the time he's mean. He attacks our other older, spayed female cat constantly.

Asked by Member 1118323 on Oct 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I have a new kitten who is doing the same thing. However, it is not mean, it is PLAY. While it might seem like torture, he is learning skills that would help him instinctually. You need to get him lots of 99 cent toys and add more scratchers. Interactive game toys are good like laser towers, the cat's meow or the cat babysitter dvd. Luckily, kittens play, eat and SLEEP. Make him a cozy little resting spot that he can retreat to. Neutering will help, and when you take him in for his shots, ask your vet when you can schedule the operation. Mitral Purrometer is getting spayed at the end of January- we already made the appointment... but it is not a fix-all, your kitty should stay active. This is why when I got Orion I kept Bezal 2 1/2 months later... he was dirving my older two crazy and needed a friend his own age. He still "tortures" her to this day, even though she's 7 lbs. bigger than him. ^_^

Give him more toys to play with. I'd also suggest getting him neutered as soon as you can.