i have a male cat> he is mean. He doesent like to be petted. can anyone help with this i would like for him to sleep by

Asked by Member 994485 on Jun 28th 2010 in Cats & Kids

Answers

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

Is he neutered? This is a huge issue with a male cat. Also how old is he? I have 3 boys. One, Buddy, was a biter, but, I got him when he was 8. If your cat is an adult, or, plays rough, do not use your hand as a toy. Use a wand or other type toy where the cat can be a cat. When cats play with each other they have fur so they need to play hard.
Let the cat get used to you. Always make a very big deal out of normal things like feeding. That is why I like timed feedings instead of putting food out all day. Let him know you acknowledge him and care for him. It is tone of voice, not content. They do not know what you are saying, but, they know the emotion. Some cats never sleep on the bed. All mine do. They follow me in and I make a big deal out of it. I lay down and each has a spot and they get a good pet. Time, patience, and caring will make your cat the best cat. Treats are good too. Use only a few treats, one or two. Again, use tone of voice with the treats. My Buddy Bud never bites now

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

He is not mean - he is cranky. I have a big old cranky man myself - he does not like to be touched, groomed, picked up, etc. But he does like to be talked to. Some kitties don't enjoy touch - the vet explained to me that some of them actually interpret touch as discomfort. I have learned to live with Joey's crankiness for 11 years and he is still my baby. He will sit next to me on the couch and coos when he wants me to talk to him. Once and a while I can get some scratches in - but keep it short and sweet. Your kitty may just need some time to adjust - was he a rescue? I think some pet owners expect their pets to be a certain way - I have learned that they are individuals and sometimes you need to let them be who they are.

Joey answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Smokey and Oynx

Well... if he is not neutered that's a big part of why he doesn't want to be bothered. Are they old well if they are they probably are tired and rest less. So what can help is sprinkle a little catnip on where you want him to go and 9 times out of 10 they will go there

Smokey and Oynx answered on 4/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer