I have a kitten who is 8 weeks and can't seem to hold anything down other than baby food. How long can I do this safely

I also give him a green algea supplemient from shimplexhealth. Can I continue for a while or will he become malnourished. I do not know yet what is keeping him from processing denser foods. I've tried Hils, I.D., Science recovery Diet, etc and he does not tolerate even 1/8 of a teaspoon. Tests are very expensive and he is feral and I hope he is just developing slowly he weighs 1.4 lbs and is very playful and happy and I think a little too scratchy, but seems well. All systems are moving well. Can he safely stay on this and for how long before I might have to do diagnostic testing to see if other organs are not processing foods. He himself would eat anything you put in front of him.

Asked by Member 782768 on Dec 31st 2008 Tagged kitten, weeks, beechnutbabyfood in Homemade Food

Answers

Cow and Bahji

at 8 weeks old he should still be nursing (or drinking kitten formula from a bowl)primarily and eating some soft kitten food with a little dry kitten food (3 tsp soft to one tsp dry) Did the vet perscribe the supliment? If not it could be too potent for him or he could be allergic, Algea is a plant and cats are meat eaters so a plant based supliment may not be the right thing, ask a vet to be sure. If he's not eating regular dry kitten food half and half with soft within the next 2-3 weeks or if his behavior changes,stops playing, becomes listless, doesnt gain any weight (1.4 is just a little small for 8 wks and should gain about .2 pounds every week and a half or so) You may have to talk to a vet about food allergies. If he's happy and playing he should be ok for now, it is maybe just possible that he's too young for the foods listed or for the suppliments, but keep an eye on him and get to a vet asap if he starts acting weird or doesn't improve.

Cow and Bahji answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bless you for taking a feral under your wing, but you shouldn't have taken him on if you don't have the financial resources for the necessary vet visits. A healthy kitten should be able to tolerate the kinds of diet recommended by the other poster. A kitten needs more nutrients than an adult cat, and should be eating kitten food or food specified as being for all ages. Baby food is not designed for kittens, although it's better than nothing. Kittens tend to have more vomiting and diarrhea problems than adults, as their gastrointestinal tracts and immune systems are still developing. But continual vomiting suggests a problem that only a vet can diagnose. It can be something as simple and cheap to treat as worms. Kittens can get dehydrated and lose weight from excessive vomiting and/or diarrhea, and can go downhill very quickly--one of mine recently looked close to death after two days of diarrhea, and bounced back to his old self after two days of treatment. Go to the vet ASAP.

♥ Suey ♥

Make sure the baby food does not contain onions, onion powder or garlic. Stage one baby foods are a better bet, as they don't tend to have the extra gravies in them. The main ingredient should be meat.

Long term feeding of baby food can lead to taurine deficiency, which can cause heart and eye issues. They will also need to eat a lot of baby food to get the calories that they require. It is important that you get this kitty on to an appropriate diet.

Has the kitten been checked out by the vet? He does sound a bit light. If the supplement is not prescribed, I second the recommendation to stop giving it to the kitten. As has been said, it could be something really simple like worms. By not having it sorted out, it runs the risk of becoming something much more serious. He should also be checked out for FIV/FLV and other possible issues, especially before being introduced to any other cats you have.

Good luck:)

♥ Suey ♥ answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You're right-tests are very expensive. It cost me $250 when Izzie was a kitten to find out he just had intestinal gas. However, you need the advice of a professional (a vet) as to what to feed him and what supplements to give him, if any. At 8 weeks, he should just be starting on soft (wet) kitten food mixed with a little kitten milk replacement (KMR). Animals need things that are not in people food, so yes, he might become malnourished on human baby food. If you don't have a vet, please find one now. Most vets can handle an 8 week old kitten, even if it is feral, but if you call a local shelter they can advise you of vets in your area who specialize in feral cats. Please don't "experiement" with this little guy on your own, if that is what you are doing.. Hand his care over to a professional and make sure he's getting what he needs to grow up into your best friend!

We got our youngest cat, who was feral, at 4 weeks old and the vet gave us a combination of kitten milk replacement and dry cat food, which we ground into a powder and mixed together. The Kitten milk is very high in nutrition and might be easier to digest for your little guy. Those other cat foods you mention are great but they may be too rich for his system - one of our older cats has had that problem his whole life - can't eat the really rich foods. But try the kitten milk - it is closest to what he would have been getting from his mom nutritionally.