I have a kitten who is 13 weeks old and an adult cat who is about 2 years old. I feed them whiskas but have been told it is 'the mcdonalds of cat food'! Therefore I would like to know the best food for me to feed them and also how many meals my kitten should have as he's always hungry! They both eat wet and dry food at the moment. I would also like to know if there are any foods that won't cause my adult cat to put on more weight - he's a healthy weight but need him to stay that way!

Asked by Member 1137173 on Oct 23rd 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

What to feed is a hotly contested topic here on Catster. We have a few forums on feeding, which you can access by clicking on the orange "Community" tab and searching for the forums listing. I have friends who believe that no pet food is any good unless it costs an arm and a leg. I say, "Good for them!" I also have friends who rise up to 2 hours early to prepare a raw food diet for their cats. Me? I feed my cats Purina One for sensitive systems and Fancy Feast wet food. My 3 cats consistently get the thumbs-up from their vet, are healthy and content. Truthfully, chat with your vet about what THEY feel is best for your cats since they know them. The baby, of course, should still be on kitten food. I free feed dry food which means they have a bowl down at all times. None of them is overweight and my vet says "don't change a thing."

Look for foods that have meat as the first ingredient. My Mommy also stays away from buying me things with meat by-products, wheat & corn gluten & stuff like that. I eat Evo Weight Management dry food, but it's expensive. As for wet food, I like Best Feline Friend, Earthborn, Fussie Cat...just to name a few.