I have a feral cat who will not get into a humane cage trap no matter how long I withhold food. Any other ways?

I think she was caught in one before and is too smart to do it again. I used fish, steak, everything and she won't get in it. Is there any other humane way to catch? I thought about poison or sedatives, but I'm afraid she will go under house and die. She had one litter I managed to capture and save, but she is pregnant again am I do not want to go thru that again.

Asked by Member 1121360 on Jul 18th 2012 Tagged feralcat in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

I can't for the life of me imagine why a feral female cat has already been trapped and been released without having been spayed.
Your thought of poison or sedatives is absolutely NOT the way to capture a feral.
Please try again with humane trap using smelly bait such as sardines or tuna.
PLEASE do not resort to poison.
Maybe other folks here can offer better advice?
If this cat is causing problems maybe you should call your local animal control service and ask them to assist you.
Best of luck!

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on Jul 18th.

Answers

I was under the impression that you wanted to help this cat but when I read "poison", my blood ran cold. Check the trap and make sure the trigger is set to release quickly when she goes in. If it's stuck, she can get in and back out. Use a really cheap, oily cat food and spread it outside the trap as well as inside. Keep the trap in a secluded place, not out in the open. Contact your local AC Officer through your police department, or a local shelter or rescue for help. Please don't use poison or anything else that will kill the cat. If you get caught, you could face prison time and a steep fine.

I don't know what your motive is - help the cat or kill it? I am sickened that you would even think of poisoning a cat, let alone a pregnant one. You should have gotten help for her before she got pregnant. It sounds to me that you just want her gone. What are your intentions if you get her in the trap? What happened before with the kittens you "saved"? Why didn't you have mama cat spayed then? In any event, DON'T USE POISON. Try some catnip! Get her FIXED!!!