I have a cat that is about 4 yrs. old. He has alway's been mostly an outside cat(Doesn't even use litter box only comes

Please help me find a way to keep my cat in the house so what ever he is fighting with will maybe go away--Or I know it will kill my cat soon...He is alway's coming home all beat up... Thank you.

Asked by Member 1140496 on Nov 13th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Phoebe

How is he getting out of the house? First I would commit to transitioning him to an indoor cat - which means don't let him out. That however can be easier said than done - some cats will always find a way out. Is he spayed? If not, get him fixed - it will help. Then I would pick a room in the house that will be his for a while - and transition him like you are bringing him home for the first time. Put a litter box, cat bed, toys, food/water and a scratching post or two in that room - and instruct everyone in the house that he is to stay in that room. I imagine he will protest quite a bit - crying/howling should be contrasted with soft loving reassurance, playtime, and treats when he is good. The litter box may be a challenge but again use positive reinforcement - not punishment - it's counterproductive. Structure, playtime and love!!! Hopefully over time he will become accustomed to being indoors. Good luck and let me know how you progress!!! He's a lucky kitty.

Phoebe answered on 11/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer