Nubbins

I have a cat that has a nub for a tail waswondering what kind of cat it was

Asked by Nubbins on Jan 31st 2009 in Manx

Answers

Mowi

Could be a Manx... Unless the tail was unnaturally removed, then I dunno.

Mowi answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petra

Nubbins probably is part manx as they have no tail. Generally from the photos he looks like a domestic short hair, which just means mixed breed cat with short fur. So on your profile you could put him as a DSH / manx mix.

Petra answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My question is, how prevalent are Manx genes in the general American moggie population? And what percentage of cats simply have naturally occurring short tails? In Japan, Manxes are so rare that I've never even seen one at a cat show; I assume that there are more Manx genes in the American moggie population (due to British immigration), but does that mean that every short-tailed cat is part Manx? As for American Bobtails, as far as I know they are a recent breed, and it is even more unlikely that their genes are influencing American moggies to any great degree. In Japan, we do have bobtailed cats, but as I understand it, the short tails are due to a recessive gene; there are very few with truly short tails, and most have tails that are half length and kinked. This is no answer, just a group of questions. My main doubt is that any cat with a short tail necessarily has Manx or American Bobtail ancestry. My guess is that you are a genetic anomaly. But that's why you're special!

It could be Japanese Bobtail. Does It have a curved tail or something similar to that. If it does, it a Japanese Bobtail. If not, it is still a mystery to me and you.

If it is a pure bred it is most likely a Manx because Manx cats are known for their stubby tail.

More Questions in This Category