I have a cat and recently my wife has brought a bearded dragon and now my cat won't enter the frontroom. Any idea how i

I have a cat and recently my wife has brought a bearded dragon and now my cat won't enter the frontroom. Any idea how i can stop my cat from being scared of the dragon?

Asked by Member 1139697 on Nov 8th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

Batfink

All cats are different, some are curious (all of ours would be right up at that cage poking thier paws in) while some a little more timid, it sounds as though your kitty is more timid, and i think given time, he/she will investigate and get over her fear,most fear comes from not knowing what the thing is.Please make sure that you supervise any meetings between them as you dont want any party to get injured or anything to be eaten by kitty that shouldnt be.good luck

Batfink answered on Nov 8th.

Answers

I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse as my son's cat in North Carolina is constantly bringing (live) lizards into the house and letting them loose. 8o) Cats are naturally wary of anything new, especially if it moves and smells "funny". Izzie was terrified of a rescued gerbil I had until his sister Delilah showed him how much fun it was to lie on top of the cage and watch them run around. If a friendship between the 2 is really important to you, you can try enticing your cat into the room with her favorite toy. Don't play with her right in front of the lizard's tank. Start across the room. Stay very calm and conversational with your cat and don't focus on the lizard. Leave it in the tank. Keep your voice quiet and the playtimes short and fun. Be patient. Don't make a big deal out of it. Your cat really needs to decide for herself if this relationship is going to work or not!