I have a 7 yr old Maine Coon rescue cat who sprays DAILY. A breeder used him for 5 years to breed,then dumped him.

I have a neutered rescue cat who sprays daily. He originally belonged to a breeder who used him for 5 years, then got rid of him,giving him to a pet store to sell. The person who bought him said he was climbing the walls to hide because he was so SCARED. (She bought him to rescue him.)Her family had him for 2 yrs. Only their teenage daughter could get close to him. He was also spraying (I found out later)at their home. We have 8 other rescue cats who I've been keeping away from the room he is in. But he basically lives under the sofa, and only comes out at night to eat and use the litter box, and that's when he sprays. He does let us pet him a bit now. His former owner had all tests done for UTIs, etc. & he's very healthy. I don't want to put him to sleep, he's a sweet,gorgeous, big boy Maine Coon who I promised a Forever Home. (We have 8 litter boxes throughout the house, cleaned daily.)I use an enzyme cleaner where he sprays. The carpets, furniture, etc. are getting ruined! Ideas??

Asked by Member 1141154 on Nov 17th 2012 Tagged spraying, scared, socialized, urine, marking in Behavior & Training

Answers

It honestly sounds like your MC hasn't had a very great life. First he was used as stud, and never felt loved or socialized. Then he went to a pet store cage and then another home and because of his habit of spraying, may not have been treated very well. Now, he's at your home and continuing his habits. I can say that cats are not "pack" or "herd" animals and some are just not cut out to live with other cats. They feel they have to prove something. Since your cat always lived in a group, he's always felt the need to establish himself and cats do that by spraying. If you want to keep him, you will need to ask your vet for their advice. This cat needs to be worked with, socialized and possibly even put on a short course of anti-anxiety meds. It takes time, dedication and patience and professional counselling. I hope it all works out for you. MC's are GREAT kitties!