I have a 5 year old Abyssinian who is fearful of everyone. I am thinking about getting another cat/kitten.

Any suggestions on whether it would/would not be a good idea? My house is 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 1200 sq. ft.

Asked by Member 987572 on May 17th 2010 Tagged newcats, existingcats in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

It depends on why your cat is fearful. Was she ever socialized? Do you spend lots of time playing with her? Remember that 2 cats will be twice the work, expense and playtime/socialization time. If you are depending on the 2nd cat to socialize her, it most likely will not work. If you get a kitten who grows up to be larger and more aggressive than your present cat, her situation will be worse than it is now. If you decide to get another cat, go to a reputable shelter and explain to them what your situation is. Ask for their guidance in choosing another cat. A good shelter will spend much time with you helping you make your choice and also have a return policy should it not work out.

It may not help with his or her fear of people. My sister has 2 cats that she got at the same time and they just hide together and still hate people. It is nice for them to have each other for company but that's just because they do enjoy each other's company. I have 7 and I have to say that even though they all love people and get along fine with each other, several of them prefer not to have any of the others invading their space. Chelsea hisses at anybody who gets too close. Allie just pretends she is an only child and gets up to leave if anybody gets in her way. You just never know how cats will react to other cats. But you have plenty of space for two as long as you have room in your heart and can afford the extra vet bills and food. Good luck!

Emily

Its up to you but if your cat is scared of people what will it think of a new cat mabey it needs some TLC and a place were it can feel safe so I would work on making it fell sucure before investing in a kitten or it might feel neglected.

Emily answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer