I have a 4-year old male cat that loves to suck my ear lobe. Is it "normal"?

Actually, he has been doing that in a daily basis (!!) since he was 4-months old. I was wondering if I should discourage this type of behavior and also if this can be considered normal in a adult male cat.

Asked by Member 1104806 on Apr 8th 2012 Tagged malecatearsuckling in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

im no expert but maybe its just something unique to your cat and he finds it to be fun. one of mine loves to play with and chew on long hair. i suppose hair moveing looks fun or looks like a toy or something. my children think its really funny. he purrs, chews, and swats at my hair almost everyday but i try to distract him with something else like a real toy or other things i know he likes.

Cali

It's certainly a little unusual, but he's not the first ear lobe sucking cat. Like cats that nurse on blankets or knead and chew on hair, he's just flashing back to being a kitten nursing and showing that he thinks of you as someone as wonderful and lovable as his biological mother was to him when he was a itty bitty kitten dependent on her for survival. If he doesn't use his teeth at all and you don't mind it no need to discourage him; but if he ever gets a little rough yell or even hiss at him and put him down so he understands he hurt you and doesn't think it's okay to keep doing it that rough and potentially get even more violent.

Cali answered on 4/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It most likely gives him comfort and makes him feel secure. It feels good for you. Just enjoy!

well he might be missing his mom he might want her milk