I have a 2 yr old cat, healthy (per vet) clean teeth, but HORRIBLE breath. Any ideas how to stop it?

She has been to the vet and her teeth are clean with no mouth sores, but she has the worst breath I've ever smelled on a cat. She's the right weight and is eating well. Her breath has been like this for about 6 months. The only health problem she has is occasionally (like once ever 4-6 weeks or so) her left eye gets watery for a day or two. The vet thinks that might be allergies. Otherwise the only problem is her horrendous breath!

Any ideas on how I can make it smell less?

Asked by Member 1136290 on Oct 17th 2012 Tagged badbreath, teeth, vetvisit, alergies in Dental Care

Answers

Most pets, dogs and cats included, don't have "minty fresh breath", but truly horrendous breath needs further examination by the vet. Were her teeth professionally cleaned and her mouth and gums examined? Sometimes a mouth ulcer is difficult to spot, as is a sore spot on a gum because we (or at least I) don't make a habit of poking around in our cats' mouths. There are cat treats which are supposed to freshen breath. Also, if you feed her a lot of seafood-based wet food that can contribute to it. Your vet should examine her for causes of bad breath that may be coming from inside her and not her teeth.