i have a 1 yr old male cat that weighs 12 pounds is this normal?

Asked by Member 1139489 on Nov 6th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Bobbles

This sounds like your kitty may be a bit over weight. Check with your vet. They may run tests, like thyroid. Depending on test resultst, the vet may put your cat on a diet and suggest more exercise.

Bobbles answered on 11/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bobbles is right, but I would just like to add that the answer is dependent on what breed your cat is. My Izzie is a Maine Coon mix, and he weighed that much at a year also. He's always been a fussy eater, but when he finds something he likes, watch out! Now he fluctuates between 15 and 17 pounds. He's a BIG cat and he's not overweight. He's just big and it's typical of this breed. I've heard of Maine Coons going over 25lbs. But it's ALWAYS a good idea to check with your vet. They're the experts!