I have a 1 yr old calico and she is extremely aggressive she has recently started attacking me yet she loves my boyfrien

I have no other cats only a dog she will not let me pet her or pick her up i bought her a cat tower so she would have he own space and have upped her play time to try and help idk how to help her any advice would be great

Asked by Member 1149510 on Jan 11th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

It's unusual for an animal to take an instant dislike to someone without provocation. Is your female spayed? If not, this should be your first course of action. Also, I would not try to pick her up or force her to be cuddled or held. Not many cats like to be confined like that and do not like to have their feet off the ground. Delilah is now a cuddle-bug, but when I adopted her, she was a notorious and nasty biter and was in a shelter for a year because of that. I basically let her live her own life and decide when SHE wanted attention. I always treated her with love and kindness, never yelled at or struck her. When she bit, I'd say "NO BITE!" and walk away. I also used a soda can with pennies taped inside and when she growled at me, I'd shake it and say "NO!" Do not make her playtimes "off-the-wall" and intense. She may be having a hard time settling down afterwards and that's what prompts the attack. Play, but keep it calm and low-key. In the end, you may have to chat with your vet.