I have a 1 1/2 year old male Tabby. He occasionally throws up right after eating, usually in the morning.

I have a healthy 1 1/2 year old male (neutered) Tabby. He occasionally throws up right after eating, usually in the morning. He's indoor only and gets dry food ("Instinct") + a couple of tablespoons of wet food once a day around 6PM + five or six dry "treats", not even every day. I keep food in his bowl at all times and he grazes often during the day. I put a half cup of dry food in his bowl when its empty, so he's getting one cup of food/day. I give him fresh, filtered water morning and evening. When he throws up it looks like he's just eating too fast/too much at one time. I'm thinking that in the morning I might try putting half the usual amount of food in his bowl. Any thoughts, reactions, suggestions??

Asked by Member 1186751 on Nov 21st 2013 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

It could be a few things. You can purchase a portion pacer bowl to help slow down the gobbling. There are also drop or stick-in your existing bowl portion pacers that you can find, but they will be marketed to small dogs... the same principle applies. Next, I believe that food is high protein. If you have a housecat, there is no need for a food mimicking a wild diet. Try Natural Choice hairball control, because it contains extra fiber that will help him to digest and pass the food instead of vomiting it up. If you give him less food that what he should be getting for his weight, that would be unhealthy. Cheers ^_^