I have a 14 year old male cat who is very loving and has a great appetite. For some time now he has had a runny nose an

I did see a vet last year and she said it was probably my cat's teeth and that it would cost about $600 to pull some. This seems excessive.

Asked by Member 948563 on Feb 2nd 2010 Tagged sneezing, runnynose in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

It really depends on how many teeth need to be pulled and your age. I am 13 and just had dental surgery and had 4 teeth pulled (two were easy extractions and two were more difficult). Mine cost almost 400 dollars. That not including the blood work they got the week before, with that and the medicine it cost almost 700. Since your cat is 14 they will need to run a full blood panel on him to ensure that he will make it through the anesthesia. My vet gave us the opportunity to opt out of certain things to help reduce the cost.

I guess you need to weigh the cost vs the benefits. Bad teeth can cause a multitude of health problems for cats including death. You can try to get estimates from other vets to see what they would charge as well. You may want to have them run the blood work first, make sure that he is healthy. If he is, it may be well worth the expense of getting the dental work done, and if done close to surgery you only have to have one blood test. Good luck to you!

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on Feb 2nd.

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

It depends where you live but in my area (Sacramento) that is a reasonable cost. Dental works starts at about $400 for a basic cleaning so if $600 includes a few extractions that is pretty average.

Freckles is 17 and had chronic sinus infections caused by an infected canine root that was extracted last October. Dental xrays (to figure out what the issue was as she has no actual teeth left) and the extraction of the root cost $800. Her sinus infections have gradually got better since the surgery so I think its definitely worth doing this for your cat as it sounds like he could have the same problem.

If the $600 doesn't include a blood test make sure they give you a quote for that too which will cost about $50-150 depending what they include. This is important to make sure your cat doesn't have anything like kidney disease which would make surgery more risky and may require them to use different pain meds etc.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 2/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category