I have a 14 year old cat that stopped eating recently. She will only lick canned food. Any suggestions on feeding her

Asked by Member 1112770 on May 27th 2012 Tagged oldercat, eating in Food & Nutrition

Answers

You need to have your cat examined by a vet to determine why she stopped eating. It is dangerous for a cat to go without eating longer than 24 hours. They can develop a fatal liver condition. You cat may be ill... or she may have infected teeth making it too painful to eat. Either way, your cat needs to see a vet ASAP. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. If money is an issue, see if you vet will work out a payment plan or apply for Care Credit.

I agree. You need to see a vet real soon. You need to rule out any & all medical problems 1st. Then work with the vets for the best options food wise. Have just been through the same thing with my kitty & have been working with my vets to find something my kitty will eat.

Alexander, Dreamboat #110

I agree with the others. It may be just a dental problem. Sometimes when they are nauseous, they will lick the food but not gulp it. It is definitely serious. No cat should go more than twenty-fours without food. Take the cat to the vet asap.
It could be early stages of kidney disease. The vet can give the cat appetite stimulant and do a blood panel to rule out any disease. I found peace of mind when I brought them. It will not go away on its own. Catching something in its early
stages is the best. Now, if there is an emergeny vet place open, please go quickly...

Alexander, Dreamboat #110 answered on 5/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Muggz

The previous answers are right on. In the last couple of weeks there have been quite a few articles regarding the evils if your cat stops eating. Just a few days of not eating can be very severe. The magazine has had articles regarding feeding tubes and other methods of feeding. If you cat will not eat RUN to the vet for labwork especially to check for the start of liver disease. Cats can go into fatty liver disease overnight it seems. The recovery is very slow. It is possible it may be as easy(?)as dental issues. I just had Muggs to the vet, because I noticed two things going on. One, his breath was enough to knock you out and two he started vomiting right after eating. What he brought up was not chewed. It was whole. Sure enough he needed a good cleaning and had to have a fang removed. Problem solved. Please don't wait on this. I would always rather be considered a little neuotic with a well cat than not neurotic enough.

Muggz answered on 7/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer