I have a 13-year-old cat I adopted from a local shelter about 6 years ago. I want to adopt a dog but want a easytransitn

I have a 13-year-old cat I adopted from a local shelter about 6 years ago. I don't know her past history with cats or dogs.

My question is this: I am soon moving to a new city and will finally have a big yard and room to have a dog. I've wanted one for years but it was not doable in a one bedroom apartment. My cat has been around a dog in the past and just ignored him and did her own thing, so I think if I adopt a cat-friendly dog, the two might forge a peaceful bond.

BUT. Here is my question. Should I move to the new house, get my cat settled, and then a few months down the way get a dog? Or would it be a simpler transition to simply already have everything unpacked the dog already there? That way she won't feel as though the dog is taking her territory?

Its going to be a big change for her either way, especially with the move, but it's a big house and I intend to dedicate a lot of space to her and her furniture and toys. I just want to know what will be the easiest transition fo

Asked by Member 1165401 on Apr 16th 2013 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Yes, you need to move the cat in first before introducing the dog, or she will resent it unless s/he lives in the yard. Next, 13 1/2 is old, and your cat, unless oblivious, will not want a puppy running around her in circles, so it best to get a smaller and middle age, mellow dog. Give her treats, toys and new climbing spaces to be able to escape from this new dog whenever it suits her. Happy move! You can bring a couple of cats in after the one you have passes because your pup will be used to them. ^_^