I have a 10 year old female cat who is quite territorial. If we got a kitten how would she react?

She doesn't react well to strangers in her house. She doesn't have her front claws and its been just her here for the past 10 years. I don't want her to attack and hurt a kitten so I'd like to know things we can do to help her accept a new kitten.

Asked by Member 1097029 on Mar 3rd 2012 Tagged kitten, social, fighting, help, newpets, oldercats in Aggression

Best Answer

Cali

Not liking strange humans doesn't necessarily mean being more hostile to strange cats. It may be quite an adjustment for her if she's been an only kitty for 10 years, but some cats, particularly female cats, take quite a liking to kittens and will get somewhat maternal with them which can help the bonding process. Being declawed she probably feels extra defensive and may lash out and bite a kitten that gets really frisky with her, so make sure you select a kitten known to be relatively calm and that is very gentle with their paws and good with getting their claws clipped. Declawing a cat that doesn't have a major problem with slashing people is cruel (they have to amputate an entire bone and totally alter the structure of the paws, which can lead to lifelong pain) and often turns a nice cat into a biter. If you feel you "need" a declawed cat please get an older already declawed cat from a shelter.

Whatever cat you get, introduce them VERY slowly; look for articles here on Catster!

Cali answered on Mar 5th.

Answers

When you decide to adopt another cat, make sure you go to a reputable shelter. Find one in your area on www.petfinder.com. If the people are not friendly and if the shelter does not look spotless, run, don't walk, away. You should be asked to fill out an adoption questionnaire and be asked LOTS of questions by the adoption people. You will be asked about your current cat. These people know the cats in their shelter and will do their best to find a cat who will fit in with your lifestyle. As long as your cat isn't outright vicious or feral, she should, with the right introduction and consideration for her tender feelings, accept another cat. Rely on the counselling of the shelter for advice on how to introduce the cats. Do NOT bring the kitten/cat home and just dump her on the other cat. That would be disasterous. Make sure you are clear on the shelter's return policy if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Joey

I had an 11 year old, antisocial, neutered, male, "only cat" with all this claws when I adopted my youngest kitty – I didn't adopt a kitten – I adopted a 2 year old. You might consider another cat not necessarily a kitten – a kitten may have too much energy for your cat and frankly would be vulnerable to the older cat if things turned out badly. Find a reputable shelter and share all of your concerns. I thought for sure Joey would not accept another cat in the house and I was wrong – that doesn't mean your cat will – but it's possible to have a positive outcome. The introduction will be critical as well - even cats that have lived with other cats their whole lives won't necessarily get along if you just plop them in the middle of the floor and say "okay now be nice". It's a lot to think about - but I am glad to see that you are thinking about it and not rushing into a situation that may not end well for the kitties. Pawmail me if you want to chat about it.

Joey answered on 3/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer