i have 2 cats and 2 dogs, the dogs chase the cats, wont hurt them but chase them, how can i get some harmony in this hou

my cats hide downstairs, i have to gate it off to give them peace

Asked by Member 967016 on Sep 11th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I have 3 cats and 2 dogs, one of whom is a large Husky/Shepherd/Doberman mix and have the same issue. Only, I'm not so sure that Jessie wouldn't hurt Lizzie if she caught her. I have given my cats lots of places to run that 90lb. Jessie won't fit like behind chairs, table tops, under beds, and a large, high "cat condo", a carpeted series of scratching posts and a "crow's nest" on the top. I've also employed the use of a spray bottle on Jessie and a loud "NO!" at the same time. Remember that YOU are the pack leader over both species and what YOU say GOES! If one of your cats tries to defend herself against one of the dogs, don't discourage her. Don't reprimand her for hissing or swatting. This is the technique that my Delilah used and NO ONE messes with her, human, feline or canine. I never hit or swat any of my animals or even yell that much. They don't "fear" me, but they know when I'm not kidding. Don't hesitate to step in when things get crazy and assert yourself.

There is nothing wrong with getting a gate and giving your felines a couple of hours of "peace" every other day. The dogs can do something else and the cats will thank you for it. You can also give the dogs a treat during this time like a Natural Choice tartar control bone shaped biscuit which takes a while for them to crunch; the cats won't notice as long as they can leisurely lounge. ^_^ Cat trees would help your animals immensely- they need to have dog-free spaces! ^_^