WILLOW

I had my rescue cat spayed and now she keeps throwing up. Has this happened to anyone else? What could it be?

My rescue cat, Willow just got done weening her one and only kitten. So I got her spayed at a low cost clinic. It's been three days. The 1st day she ate a little and used her litter box. The second day she didn't want to eat. She was throwing up bile, I thought, from not eating. I got her to eat a little canned cat food last night and she threw it all up. So now my daughter has her at the vet's office. I'm really afraid something went very wrong with her spay. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

Asked by WILLOW on Oct 9th 2009 Tagged spay, cat rescue, kittens in Health & Wellness

Answers

Willow was throwing up bile because her stomach was empty, you are right about that. She might be vomiting because of the anesthesia used, or if you have given her pain meds, it might be that. If you have been watching her incision and it's not red, leaking puss or blood, then it's not infected. I really don't think she picked anything up at the clinic. I'm sure you wouldn't have left her there for the surgery if it appeared dirty, etc. The only one who can really determine what's going on in her little tummy is the vet and you were exactly right to have your daughter take her in. I'm sure she'll be OK, but let us know anyway!