I HAD MY KITTON LITTER TRAINED, THEN TRAINED HER TO GO TO THE DOOR WHEN WANTED OR NEEDED TO GO OUT. I STILL HAD A LITTE

R BOX INSIDE BUT SHE HARDLY EVER USED IT SHE IS GOING TO HAVE BABIES SOON SO SHE WANTS TO STAY IN MOST OF THE TIME. SHE WONT USE THE BATHROOM OUT SIDE ANY MORE HOW CAN I GET RID OF THE LITTER BOX

Asked by Member 1156300 on Feb 21st 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

First, if she hasn't been to the vet's in a while, she needs to go to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection. Cats who have health issues stop using the box. Then, if she's pregnant, you shouldn't let her out. She could have her kittens outside, and the survival rate for kittens born outdoors isn't that great. It might not be a bad idea to keep her in a room if you have the space. Get a large litter box, food and water and a box for her to "nest" in. You can find information about how to set up a "birthing room" for her on the net or from your veterinarian. I know that scooping the box is not one of the "joys" of having a cat, but please don't force her to go outside. Even if she does always come back, if she goes into labor and has the kittens outside, it won't go well for any of them. And when she has the kittens and they're weaned, would you please consider having her spayed? Thanks.