I had my cat and her kitten daughter spayed yesterday. Mom is lethargic. Is this normal?

Both my one-and-a-half year old mom and her kitten were spayed yesterday. Mom is lethargic and in pain, but is drinking water,and is eating very little. Meanwhile her four month old daughter seems to be eating and is active as ever. Do kittens recover faster than adult cats? Or does it vary from cat to cat? We will be neutering two other boy kittens next month. Do cats who are neutered experience the same symtoms? That way we know what to watch for.

Asked by Member 971242 on Jan 9th 2014 Tagged pain, spayingandneutering in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Yes, it is normal. Kittens do recover faster, and remember this mom has already given birth. Boys recover much faster than girls because having a vasectomy is almost outpatient while girls have to have their tubes tied, which is more involved. I'm surprised you got your girl back the next day though, mine always stay for two nights. Drinking is good, but she's probably not eating because the leftover anasthesia in her system has a side effect of nausea for some. Cheers and good job with spaying and neutering! ^_^

I think it is normal because little kitten recovers faster than adult cats. But you should consult with the vet for mom cat.

Tequila

Remember it's major surgery. As long as she's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping. Extra sleep will do her well.

Sometimes they are sent home with a pain patch (usually Fentanyl) and that can cause some lethargy too.

Tequila answered on 1/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer