I got my kitten declawed and spayed last Wednesday and not she won't walk on her front left paw. Why?

She is 13 weeks old and did great after we picked her up from the vet and just yesterday I noticed her lymping and today she won't even use her front left paw for anything. Maybe it's sore? I don't know.

Asked by Member 864011 on Aug 3rd 2009 Tagged walk, kitten, declawed, sore in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Charlie

declawing can be extremely painful. They don't just remove the claw, they amputate the first joint of the fingers. Did your vet send you home with pain medication? Make sure you are dosing it correctly and not missing any dosages. Talk to your vet, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have your vet examine her if you are having concerns about her recovery.

Charlie answered on 8/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Your best bet is to take her to the vet today. All surgeries come with possibly complications and chance of infection after. Her limping is a good sign something is going on with that paw (especially since she was fine until yesterday) and a vet is the only person who can tell you exactly what is going on. Maybe some pain meds are in order, maybe some antibiotics to clear up a possible infection, maybe she bumped or another pet stepped on her paw, many possibilities but only a vet can tell you for sure.
Heal guickly little kitten.
Bless you for spaying her.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 8/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

13 weeks is a way to early to get a cat spayed or declawed that should not be done till 6 mounths old. never heard of one lymping after being declawed. I would take her back to the vet to make sure everything is ok.

For three days after you get one declawed my vet says take the litter out of the litter box and use riped up news paper for three days then go back to litter. I agrre with tinkerbell 13 weeks is way to young they need to be 6 mounths old befor spayed or declawed.

Ok we won't talk about age, since the surgery is already done and you can't undo it. Your cat must have been big enough, weight wise, to have it done or the vet wouldn't do it. The danger is in the anesthesia.
For FUTURE reference, this procedure is usually saved for a few months, but what's done is done. Make sure she is getting her pain meds, if your vet didn't prescribe any, request some.
As for litter, MINIMUM TWO WEEKS Yesterday's News litter. It's a pellet litter made of recycled paper. It will dissolve with pee, so change it every two days at least. This is to prevent infection. Clumping litters get all kinds of dust in there, and you're almost guaranteed an infection. It sounds like you have one too, so VET.
Use Yesterday's News until the paws are healed. Some will say shorter periods of time, but with your precious baby there is no such thing as too cautious. If there is still scab, keep using Yesterday's News. It's available in most pet stores and some stores like Kmart.

Licorice

I did the exact same thing to my cat and she stopped over time but declawing can be painful for a cat afterwards because the vets cut off the bone where the claws are attached, so don't worry, but if your cat looks like she's in a lot of pain take her back to the vet.

Licorice answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Summer  5.30.02 - 10.19.12

Sounds like that paw could be infected. Definitely need s a trip to the vet. As others have said, do not use regular litter. two weeks is a very good time frame as that allows those tender toes to heal. As for age of spay, my girl was done at 14 weeks. My vet said it was ok and I followed his advice.

Summer 5.30.02 - 10.19.12 answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maya

This is why i honestly HATE declawing more then anything. If you want to understand why, i have a link to a site that you should read, and it will most likely help you understand this.
www.declawing.com
Im not sure why my page wont load , so i cant copy and paste it. ;/.
Good luck getting better~

Maya answered on 8/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I did not know about declawing until I took in a rescue cat who had been declawed. For anyone else who does not know:

www.declawing.com

Since you love her, you will now suffer as much as you let her suffer. How ignorant can you be about de-clawing! People work hard to make it illegal, do you know why?! I am sure you will. I hope you kitty won't end up be out to sleep or in a shelter. I am fostering a de-clawed cat who is peeing the house and I am sure that was the reason he was dropped in his carrier by the shelter door. Don't be surprized if your kitty start peeing around because de-clawing can modify behavior and personality. I assume it's still alive.

I agree with the others,you should take her to the vet. Maybe she is just having pain. If you're doctor didn't give you any pain relife medication, than you should ask for some, or at least have your vet check her paws. They might be infected.
Get well soon!