I found a stray last week and he's been hanging out in my backyard. I'm having a difficult time placing him but still caring for him while he's with us My 2 cats (8+ years) are indoor/outdoor cats and they are not happy about the stray. They're not socializing with us as they normally would. The male seems withdrawn. He's not sleeping with me anymore The female, forget it, she hates all cats except for her mate. I am so sad to see them change so much in such a short time. I'm afraid I'm going to have to keep this stray but also afraid I've changed the lives of my incumbent cats. Do my cats feel betrayed or that they're being replaced? I feel ultra guilty but can't stop feeding and caring for the homeless kitty. I'm torn.

The stray cat is getting neutered and vaccinated tomorrow.

Asked by Member 1182846 on Jul 28th 2013 Tagged behaviorchanges, newcat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Well, you are taking steps to eradicate the problem. See what happens when the new guy returns, he could be more mellow or angry depending on his personality. You can also feed him in a place that is not your cats' territory to make them feel better, but still care for him. ^_^ A cat treat trail will lead him right to the new location.